Monday, June 3, 2024

A Rat’s Mask

by E Kraft


Live like a rat
Not too much love, trust, anything
Don’t cause offense
No arrogance, no peacocking

Raise your glasses to people you don’t like
Add a dash of humor and small talk
Crack a sweet grin when they’re looking
Suck up and sing praises: stupid empty words

Sickening, just sickening
The air is filled with angel’s trumpets
A toxic red beauty
But pretend not to notice poison

Did I say too much?
Let me change that expression
Sorry, I’ll act like your jester again
If I try hard enough,
Will you accept me?


* * * * *

E Kraft is a poet who enjoys creating origami art and coding for a non-profit organization. Her poems have been published by The Inlandia Institute, The Hanging Loose Press, The National Poetry Quarterly, and others.



No comments:

Post a Comment