Monday, September 16, 2024

 

I walk in the shadows

by Patricia Roe


I walk in the shadows of others.
Perhaps born at the wrong time or in the wrong place.
Second child always following in the footsteps of the first.
Never to take the lead.

Trained well by a mother who was just that.
My worth always judged by my appearance.
Never encouraged to do more, be more.
I became what I was born to be, a shadow.

Married too young to a mistake.
Wrapping my identity into his.
Losing the relationship and my own self.
Only to repeat the mistake again.

Parenthood giving me the excuse to hide behind my children.
Pushing them to excel.
To reach for heights I only dreamed of.
I walk behind them and am proud yet still I am in their shadow.

Finding work always as the assistant.
Only able to manage my own loads yet always tasked with that of others.
Watching them move on.
Finding reward in helping them succeed.

I support, I follow.
I am the reason they shine so bright.
I am the shadow they never see.
I am woman, I walk in the shadows.


* * * * *

Patricia Roe retired a few years back from a career of helping others during which she engendered a collection of tales that she hopes to share with the world. After spending decades honing her writing skills in the business world with company newsletters and project reports, Pat is now excited to have an opportunity to explore her creative side. Currently working on multiple projects from poetry to blogging to her first novel, she feels that her life experiences give her the perfect background to tell many different stories in an assortment of genres. Hopefully, you will agree!



No comments:

Post a Comment