Friday, August 9, 2024

We have earned the right to flash

by Patricia Roe


I remember the drab colors we wore, the Navy peacoat, the blue jeans, the cords.
Our clothes didn’t matter.
We were young and idealistic, with young and idealistic bodies.
Do you remember?

We talked of the protests, even joined a few.
Spoke of the failures of the generations before us.
We cared so deeply, considering ourselves worldly in so many ways.
We knew it all and the future was ours to be saved.

We took lovers who shared our passions.
Some would become life partners, others simply pleasant memories.
We bore children and taught them our ways.
Watching with wonder when they became as rebellious as we once were.

Reality slowly began to creep into our lives.
Priorities changing, new thoughts evolving, maturity inevitable on our journey.
We still fought for what we thought was right,
But our battles were at the ballot box rather than in the streets.

And now my life is changing again.
Things aren’t as sharp and clear anymore.
And my body changes too, softer lines seem to prevail.
A different face looks back at me daily with new lines, new grey hairs.

So, I run to my closet to deny time.
None of the drab blues or greys of my youth for me.
Vibrant pinks, reds, yes even purples surround me.
Brilliant colors to adorn this well-lived and loved body.

As I dress, I think of younger days.
I recall laughing at older women and their dress,
But, now I understand.
I know where they have been and where they are going.

We have been through the battles, we have carried the banners, and we are still here.
We have mothered a new generation of idealists,
And passed our struggles to them.
They may not understand, yet I know it is our time to appreciate and celebrate.

We have earned the right to flash,
I will wear my colors proudly!


* * * * *

Patricia Roe retired a few years back from a career of helping others during which she engendered a collection of tales that she hopes to share with the world. After spending decades honing her writing skills in the business world with company newsletters and project reports, Pat is now excited to have an opportunity to explore her creative side. Currently working on multiple projects from poetry to blogging to her first novel, she feels that her life experiences give her the perfect background to tell many different stories in an assortment of genres. Hopefully, you will agree!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment