Saturday, January 6, 2024

Safe and Dry in the Cave 

by CLS Sandoval

 
Boulders jut toward the sky 
little caves formed between 
 
When the mist transforms  
to drops pulled by gravity  
that’s where I hide 
 
Gray clouds make the tall grasses  
and vines of spiky wild cucumber  
look even greener  
 
I love Saturdays and school breaks  
for days like this with rain 
when I get to wander the large yard  
of my childhood home in Green Valley 
 
I’ll wait out the brief rain  
in the warmth of this tiny cave  
near my home 
 
I wondered if my mother was looking out the window for me  


* * * * *

CLS Sandoval, PhD (she/her) is a pushcart nominated writer and communication professor with accolades in film, academia, and creative writing who speaks, signs, acts, publishes, sings, performs, writes, paints, teaches and rarely relaxes. She’s a flash fiction and poetry editor for Dark Onus Lit. She’s presented at communication conferences, published 15 academic articles, two academic books, three full-length literary collections, three chapbooks, as well as flash and poetry pieces in literary journals, recently including Opiate MagazineThe Journal of Magical Wonder, and A Moon of One’s Own. She is raising her daughter and dog with her husband in Alhambra, CA.  


No comments:

Post a Comment