Monday, January 22, 2024

After the atmospheric river turned the sky

                                                                        by Diane Averill

 
into punishing rains, rivers were wild creatures rushing out of control.
Within tributaries, old bones of trees
cracked, fell into a nearby creek
clogging the branches with caution-colored leaves,
and waters ran unevenly
                                                     causing my husband’s heart valve to narrow,
                                                     letting less blood through
                                                     and his heartbeats stuttered.
Today, under a softer sky,
I walk the trails, cross a stone bridge with care.
The operation comes soon.
Looking down at the flow,
 one side seems to move easily
while on the other, fear rides over a basalt boulder.
I keep my balance, step onto lower ground
and find a spot near the creek.
Its silver tongues speak to me in a language I almost understand
as it rises over rocks, then pools
before moving on. I bless the waters,
 
                                                         wind my way back home and
                                                         hug my husband the way a stream
                                                         curves into its banks. Then
                                                         I light a small fire for us,            
                                                         its flames completely under my control.


* * *  *

Two of Diane Averill's books, Branches Doubled Over With Fruit, published by the University of Florida Press, and Beautiful Obstacles, published by Blue Light Press of Iowa, were finalists for the Oregon Book Award in Poetry. She has been published in many anthologies and literary magazines such as Bloomsbury Review, Calyx, Carolina Quarterly, Clackamas Literary Review, Northwest Review, Mom Egg Review, Poetry Northwest, and Tar River Poetry. She taught English and poetry writing workshops at Clackamas Community College in Oregon.

No comments:

Post a Comment