Saturday, December 9, 2023

The Lizard

by Meg Rumsey-Lasersohn


does the western fence lizard (who detaches
her tail when cornered or threatened) experience
phantom limb syndrome?

I am so afraid
that if we examined our bond beneath
a microscope it would appear
as a brittle constellation of loosely connected
segments

ready to pull apart at the first sign of danger
leaving me (disconnected) (twitching)
without meaning or consciousness

leaving you (I hope) (perversely)
to miss me like something a part of you
to miss me with an untouchable hurt

I will dance for the predators
if you will just miss me like that
(please, little sister)


* * * * *

Meg Rumsey-Lasersohn lives in Southern California with her beloved partner and animals. She writes poetry and grants for a legal aid non-profit, creates site-specific immersive theater with award-nominated company Die Cast, and reads a great deal of queer romance novels in her spare time. She is working on befriending the crows in the backyard.


No comments:

Post a Comment