Wednesday, July 5, 2023

 

Theres No Replacing Anyone

by Nina Rubinstein Alonso
 

Rima, very pregnant, picks me up at Logan Airport, says, Never liked Sam, cold fish.” Im too empty to reply. Her husband, Cooper scribbles his lawyers number and dashes to a photo shoot.

Before our divorce is final, Sam claims hes found someone,doubtful, sends a set of dishes we bought in Copenhagen that Im tempted to smash, but mom puts the box in a closet.

Im au pair for a French professorial couple with two little boys, camping in the attic of their drafty Victorian. I ask Claudine whether my friend Danny, arriving for a Harvard interview, can stay the night and she says, Bien sûr, Leah.” 

He arrives with red roses. Im putting them in water when he nibbles the back of my neck, pulls me to the bedroom, fine, until his zipper gets stuck. Maybe things would have worked if hed laughed, but his gloom cancels moonlight, and he wilts, saying, Sorry to disappoint,” meaning hes given up.

Maybe later?” I say, but theres no later,also no sleep, as he keeps analyzing useless whys and irrelevant wherefores, never shuts up. I want him gone, threads of possible connection shredded beyond repair, glad to see him kicking leaves down the front walk. 

Claudine has an early seminar, so, despite my vile mood, I make the boys toast and oeuf a la coque” (sounds fancy, but means boiled egg), then Jean Marc drives them to École Bilingue. Danny sends a letter, so whiny I cant reply.

November Claudine needs help as shes accidentally pregnant and nearly went blind from complications giving birth to her youngest son. Abortions problematic as it’s illegal, but I search contacts, and she thanks me later saying the doctor was sympathique.

I dont tell Rima, whos choosing baby names. Anything but Fred,” Cooper says, the name of an ex-friend. 

January Im too busy preparing for grad school orals to do childcare. Quelle dommage,” Claudine says as I pile things into Coopers Chevy.

Rima cant lift anything heavier than a tea bag, but critiques my cheap flat, Tiny closet, rusty light fixtures?” 

Im dragging boxes, snow drifting down, when a bearded guy arrives in a Citroen that puffs up and down on air cushions. Im Rick, live next door,” and helps carry things upstairs.  Im lonely, another place that doesnt feel like home, cant call mom as the phones not hooked up, but hear knocking— Rick, crinkly blue eyes and bushy beard, with petite Emmy. 

Come have tea?”

Hes a radio engineer whos into folk songs.  Shes the only female architect in a Cambridge firm.  Two guys are okay, but the others talk over me in meetings.”

Rick shakes his head, Typical macho bullshit.”

At the Harvard Square spring fair, I meet Ricks friend, Miguel, guitar.  Rock musicians down the block are unloading huge speakers, and he says, once they plug in, no one will hear us.” But we see them packing up, muttering curses. Maybe bad cables? Fate giving us a break,” almost sorry for them.

After an hour of mellow music, Miguels leaving, but invites me to dinner tomorrow. Curious whats happening by the river, I walk with Rick to Memorial Drive, just stepping off the curb when he grabs my arm, yanks me back.

Gracie got hit right here, one minute holding my hand, next minute bloody meat on the ground, happened so fast, truck ran a light, but I saved you.”

Mystified, as no truck or car was anywhere near me, I say, Getting late,” and jog to the corner where Coopers picking me up, trying to understand. 

Cooper asks, Something wrong, sweetie? Big beastie chasing you?”
 
Maybe,” I say.  He elbows my shoulder and says, Ma petite cupcake, cant be that bad?  

Petite cupcake?” Glad his hands are on the wheel as Rimas told me stories.

Baby Natasha
s in her high chair, Rimas draining pasta, asking, What happened?”

Im stepping off the Memorial Drive curb when Rick grabs me, yanks me back onto the sidewalk claiming I almost got hit where a truck killed his friend Gracie, says he savedme, but no truck or car was anywhere near me!”

Sounds like a traumatized goof ball rewriting a tragic scene, rescuing the replacement for his lost love, though theres no replacing anyone, right?” Coopers chuckling, What a film, Mayhem on Memorial Drive!

Compared to the documentary hes shooting in a prison for the criminally insane, its comedy, marshmallow fluff. 

Rimas scooping pasta. Gracies dead.” 

Understandable he didnt want another friend killed, but the rescue notion is fantasy as it just didnt happen,” annoyed at Coopers joking.

I stay with Natasha while they attend a party, sit on the same couch where I slept after leaving Sam, puzzled, as Ricks never seemed delusional before.

Hunter snoozes by my leg, good dog, but sneaks into Coopers office and chews the arm of a certain upholstered chair no matter what they try to stop him. Weeks later Rima offers me the chair, and Cooper hauls it to my apartment. I wrap an old Mexican shawl around the chewed arm hoping to repair it some day. 

Otherwise Hunter will rip it to bits,” Cooper says, suddenly pulling me close, but I elbow him, push him away. He tilts his handsome head as if to say whats wrong with a brotherly smooch?

Maybe thats all it was? But Im wary as Rimas told me he screws around, apologizes when found out, insists random sex means nothing, swears he loves only her.

Late June Natashas with me for a few weeks while Rimas in Greece where Coopers filming.  She returns, takes the baby home, and Im pondering what to do until classes start again when Emmys knocking, calling me outside.

Weird sounds, put my ear against the brick wall, noises like sand trickling down, which means the interior is crumbling, might collapse, had to call it in.” Next day yellow danger tape wraps our Hubbard Ave. brick row house, signs posted: Building Condemned.” 

Start packing,” Rick says, but never mentions Gracie again.

I wondered about the rusty light fixtures, the crooked stairs, but cant they fix things? Had my friends baby here for weeks.”           

No way to patch this kind of structural deterioration,” Emmy says, and they rarely rescind a condemned order unless its historically important, which this isnt, the owners raise piles of money and have neighborhood support, though sometimes not even then, as its a safety issue.”

I call Rima in tears, My buildings condemned!

Thank God it didnt collapse while you and Natasha were sleeping. Were in counseling again, Cooper apologizing when I discover hes screwing someone, insists mere sex means nothing, swears he loves only me.”

Sickening, cant find comforting words.

Apartment hunting I see an attic on Walden Street, slanted ceilings, grubby walls, but Mr. Massé, the landlord, owns a hardware store and says, Ill give you paint, if you do the work.”

I say, Okay,” and sign.

Since Im moving again, Mom asks, How about consignment for those dishes Sam sent, still in my closet?”  Yes, or Ill bash them.

Rick takes photos of our building wrapped in what he calls the yellow tape of historical destruction,and a few weeks later, its rubble.

People call the Cambridge dump behind Walden Street an urban disgrace,” but Rick wants to photograph box-springs, doorless refrigerators, wrecked television sets and whatever else. Im curious whether anythings from Hubbard Ave.

 Rick yells, Dont touch,” too late as Miguels picking up round white stones.

Artisan marble! Need to sanitize,” he says, nothing else here but newspaper wings fluttering in the breeze.”

Valuables get ripped off during demolition,” Emmy says, and dusts giving me a headache. What's moving over there, rats? Lets go.”

Miguel and I have been together for months, things so good I was going to move in with him, but his building went condo, so he moved in with me, and were talking about buying a fixer-upper. He works part-time as a waiter, teaches guitar, performs, and Im doing grad work, teaching freshman English at Brandeis.

A year and a half later were hauling boxes from Walden Street to our tiny two-mortgage house on Lake View Ave. and hear bulldozers excavating the dump. The City of Cambridge, after long debate, delegated funds to bury mountains of trash and turn contaminated acreage into soccer fields and baseball diamonds. A high school band trumpets the opening of Danehy Park, and, after political speeches, kids run and toss balls.

Rima and I meet at the park, Natasha toddling. Suddenly Rima says, This world is full of ruins, city on destroyed city, survivors scavenging. Speaking of wreckage, Ive filed for divorce.”

You said Coopers on assignment?”

He is, couldnt tell you more until I was sure. Havent I cried on your shoulder enough? Arent you sick of hearing me complain about his lying and fucking around? Hell never change, thats who he is, considers monogamy old-fashioned. Counselings useless.”

Another structure on its way down.

Says he loves me, but hes impulsive, guiltless, cant be with one woman. Friends report seeing him with someone or tell me their almoststories, when he didnt quite get them into bed. Ive been the betrayed, stupidly forgiving wife, but no more, my self-respect cant stand it. Well stay with Aunt Diane in Montreal until I decide whats next.”

Rimas avoiding my eyes, watching Natashas tutu bounce as she toddles in sparkly shoes.  Cooper thought some of my friends were delicious, including you, but his affair with Yuris wife Magda pushed me over the edge, now theyre splitting up, too.” 

Cooper was flirtatious, but never seriously came on to me, maybe knew Id kick his ass if he tried. I love Miguel, and weve just bought a house,” tears.

Rimas quiet, but I feel her suspicion, a cellular shift, like the walls of Hubbard Ave. quietly crumbling. Shes cutting ties, doesnt trust anyone, even me. 

She says, Time to move on, find a new life.”

Too bruised to reply, I watch her silver earrings swing as she picks up Natasha. Divorcing Sam was hugely depressing, but ending it with Cooper after five years and a child has to be worse. It's like watching a ship push off and sail away— no words feel big enough.


* * * *

"Theres No Replacing Anyone" was first published in Wilderness House Review and is part of Nina Rubinstein Alonso's 2023 collection Distractions En Route: A Dancer’s Notebook and other stories (Ibbetson Street Press, 2023).

Nina Rubinstein Alonsos work appeared in The New Yorker, U. Mass. Review, Ploughshares, Taj Mahal Review, Ibbetson Street, Broadkill Review, Nixes Mate, Peacock Journal, Writing in a Womans Voice, etc. Her book This Body was published by David Godine Press, her chapbook Riot Wake by Cervena Barva Press, and a poetry collection and novel are in the works.


No comments:

Post a Comment