Tuesday, November 28, 2023

 

This month, an additional Moon Prize, the 125th, goes to Jess Whetsel's incisive poem "Lines in the Sand"


Lines in the Sand

by Jess Whetsel


I come home from the nude beach

and tell my husband about the man

old enough to be my father

who bet Id make a good wife

with a body like that

who laid back in the sand

dick tucked between his thighs

and watched me put my clothes back on

piece by piece

made my stomach turn and my chest tighten

until I was safe in my car

until the click of the lock

until I finally exhaled


By the time I get home

I can tell my husband about the man

old enough to be my father

like sharing what I had for breakfast

I watch him brace for tears

that never seem to come

no matter how many men

old enough to be my father

there are


(And thats just the ones

who are old enough to be my father)


A lifetime of being catcalled

touched without my consent

undressed by a leering gaze

becomes a grocery list of assaults

I can recite without blinking


I am worried

by how numb I have become

that I do not call myself a victim

because I know so many people 

who lost so much more 

than their comfort


How long will I draw

these lines in the sand?


* * * * *

Jess Whetsel is a poet, writer, editor, and public speaker based in Toledo, Ohio on Erie, Kickapoo, Seneca, and Odawa land. Her poetry has appeared in the literary journals Tulip Tree Review and Discretionary Love. You can learn more about Whetsel and her work on her website,
www.jesswhetsel.com
, or by following her Instagram, @jesswhetselwrites.

1 comment: