Thursday, October 17, 2024

 

My Father’s Joy

by Abigail Davis

 
I had barely learned how to walk, how to talk,
how to share, how to play fair.
I was not yet old enough for the burden
you placed on me. Looking right
into the innocent blue eyes
of your three-year-old daughter, telling her
how she is the reason you are miserable.
I just wanted you to play with me.
I have spent my life beyond that point
believing myself to be nothing more
than a burden.
At best, a chore.
Never wanting to ask too much,
never wanting to be too much.
How ironic
my name means “My father’s joy.”


* * * * *

Abigail Davis is a preschool teacher living in North Carolina. Her poem, “Where Love Died,” can be found in One Page Poetry’s 2023 Anthology. She has a passion for expressing emotions through writing whether it be poetry, journaling, or short stories. Her joy is found in seeking solitude in nature, as well as witnessing the antics of her two beloved cats, Tylee and Azula. 

 

1 comment: